Frontier History and General Information
- Date of Raising, :- 22/02/2011.
- Established by whom and when :-Frontier Hqr. Ranikhet established by Sh. Shyam Singh, IG, on 22.02.2011.
- No. of Bns, Sectors and Area of deployment: - Frontier Ranikhet has 02 Sector and 06 Bns. Area of deployment is 414 Kms from Kalapani (UKD) to Sohna (UP) in which total 100 BOPs as per KLP .
Area in General
This Frontier being both, hilly as well as plain, the height varies from place to place. Pilibhit being in the plains is 564 feet above sea level, while some high altitude BOP’s are above 10000 feet. The altitude of the highest BOPs is 12146 feet above mean sea level (BOP Kalapani). The height of Ranikhet is approximate 6132 feet above mean sea level.
Frontier Hqrs Ranikhet is located at a picturesque location. Ranikhet is a famous hill station and tourist place which offers breathtaking view of snow covered Himalayas. Presently Ranikhet Frontier has 06 Operational Bns deployed on INB.
- Topography : The area of 11th, 55th and 5th Bns is hilly terrain and falls under Pithoragarh and Champawat District of Uttarakhand. The international boundary is demarcated by Kali river and no Border Pillar exists. The exercise area of 57th , 26th , 39thBn is plain and mostly forest and agricultural area with ever green thick forest and streams/nallahs/dams supply water with perennial flow throughout the year. Besides, these areas receive heavy rain during the monsoon period and animals like Snakes, Elephant, Tiger and wild Boar are also found in the area.
- Population : The density of population in the area of operation is low, in the AOR of 11th , 55th& 5th Bns, the people are mostly Kumaonese and Nepalese. In the AOR of 57th, 26th& 39th Bns area the people are mainly Nepalese, Punjabi and Kharoes, Hindi, Kumaunese. Nepalese, Bojpuri, Punjabi and Hindi are the main link language in the areas.
- Economy : The people here mainly depend on cultivation and forestery for their daily earning. By and large they are poor. Cultivation, horticulture, cattle farming are the main source of income.